Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Gross Feet

I took Rylan to the pediatrician a couple of weeks ago because his feet were looking rough.  For awhile, the ends of Rylan's toes have been peeling.  He has funny toenails though (just like Carter), that are thin and sort of wrap around his toes as soon as they start growing out, so I wasn't sure if that was causing the peeling.

But then I noticed scaly patches on the balls of his feet.  I was worried this was something that was starting to spread (like a fungus???) and wouldn't stop unless treated so we were off to the doctor.

It turns out Rylan has juvenile plantar dermatosis, which is like eczema on the feet (and is only on the toes and balls of the feet).  To treat it, we are putting hydrocortison cream and Aquaphor on Rylan's feet before bed.  After two weeks, his feet are starting to look much better.  They aren't 100% normal yet, but they are getting there!

These pictures don't show much but give you a little of an idea of what Rylan's feet looked like before we started treating them.



No comments: