Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Colds and Warm Weather

It has been so nice here the last few days. The boys and I have spent hours playing outside both yesterday and today. Unfortunately they are both sick (though it's not slowing them down outside).

Carter woke up with a runny nose on Saturday. It's been running A LOT and Carter now wants to wipe his nose as soon as he feels it running the tiniest bit. So now his face under his nose and on one cheek is insanely chapped. I don't think he feels too bad, but he is constantly whining that his face hurts. I'm putting Aquaphor on it a couple times each hour and today it is finally starting to look better. With all the nose wiping I think he's also spread the virus to his eyes a little bit. They are a little puffy and watery but not as bad as pink eye (I think, at least).

Anyway, Carter woke up around 9:30 last night crying. Brian went to him and slept on his floor. However Carter woke up again around 12:30 and would not go back to sleep. Brian eventually brought him into our room and we turned on cartoons for him. Carter "allowed" Brian to go sleep on the futon in the playroom and I stayed up with him until 4 am when he finally was willing to turn off the tv and go to sleep. I had tried turning it off a few times before that but he just cried that his face hurt and would get himself all worked up. I admit though that I did doze some during his cartoon watching.

Carter slept in until around 7:15 and I decided to keep him home from school because of his rough night. He's been acting a lot better today though and not complaining about his face hurting (just complaining about his nose running). I hate making that decision about keeping him home from school. Fevers and throwing up are easy - basic colds are hard. I've sent him through a few other colds because I know he's getting them from school.

Rylan's nose has also been running for a few days, but he's been sleeping fine and acting normal. I'm so ready for warmer weather when the boys are sick less!

The kids didn't seem overly contagious yesterday so we met Elizabeth with Ryder and Judah at Barnes and Noble for storytime. I didn't realize it until we got there but it was a "special" storytime with a visit by the Cat in the Hat. Which was good and bad. It was cool that he was there, but all our kids were pretty scared of him. None of them would go up and meet the Cat. Oh well. They all did good though listening to the book!


Other than that we've been running some errands and staying busy playing in the driveway with all the outdoor toys that have been packed since summer!

No comments: