Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Stomach Bug

I'd heard the stomach bug was going around so I have been sanitizing all our hands when we go out like crazy. Unfortunately, it didn't prevent it from claiming us.

On Friday night Rylan threw up a little before bed but I didn't think much of it. It seemed a little more like spit up and he barely seemed to notice it. We put him to bed, and we never heard him make a peep all night.

When Rylan woke up in the morning he did his normal calling for me and Brian. When we went to him, he was covered in old, stinky throw up. It appeared that he had thrown up a few times during the night and slept in it. Poor thing! He was happy though!

Rylan was acting normal so we fed him breakfast and played. He went and hung out in Brian's office for a bit and did his business. Unfortunately it was not healthy and as soon as I picked him up, we were both covered in it. Yuck!

After getting us cleaned up, I took Rylan back downstairs and was holding him when he threw up all over me. I knew at that point that there was no way I wasn't getting sick.

Rylan didn't have much of an appetite the rest of the day, but he also didn't throw up again. His diapers are still gross, but not nearly as bad as the first time on Saturday. Though it's like he's a newborn again and is having lots of blowouts that have been getting all over me.

I was starting to think we were out of the woods and that Rylan was going to be the only one that got sick until I got up on Monday morning and felt terrible. I never threw up but was hanging over the toilet several times thinking I was going to lose it. Brian decided to work from home for the morning to help me some with the kids. He was about to head to work when Carter stood up and lost everything he'd eaten.

I was super dumb and kept giving in to Carter as he asked me for food the rest of the day. Every time he threw it up. But between throwing up, Carter was acting normal, jumping around and playing. I blame my stupidity of feeding him on feeling terrible myself and not being able to handle any whining. After throwing up on the hardwood and all over his crib and carpet during his nap, Carter managed to hit a bucket every other time! Our new carpet is broken in now!

Carter made it through the night without waking up or getting sick. He said he felt fine this morning so I was letting him drink water since his diaper overnight was completely dry. Unfortunately that didn't stay down. I finally got smarter though. I didn't let Carter get off the couch most of the rest of the day. Do you know how hard it is to keep a 3 year old still? Even one that feels bad?


I did let him eat but just a very, very small amount once an hour. I still am not feeling great, but am a lot better than yesterday. Apparently I'm thinking a lot clearer!

Carter continued to improve all day and tonight seemed back to normal.

Unfortunately Brian now has it. He slept until noon and has been suffering the rest of the day. Hopefully he's better by tomorrow because he really needs to get back to work.

So my best guess of where we picked this up is the pediatrician's office. Rylan and I were there on Thursday morning for his 18 month checkup. I sanitized us both a dozen times while we were there, but I don't think it helped.

Hopefully the kids and I will be 100% tomorrow too. We need to scope out Targets tomorrow because the big January toy clearance should be on Thursday and I need to stock up!

No comments: