We started out slow with me tagging along to Dallas in the spring where Brian had training for a week. The training was at the Gaylord Texan (link) - a really amazing place to stay. I was really busy at work at the time so I did a little work in the hotel in the morning, went shopping in the afternoon, went running with Brian when he was done with class, and then we'd go to dinner. It was a really good break from the 60+ hour weeks I was working at the time.
Next, we went to southeast Utah for a week in May. We hiked around Arches and Canyonlands National Parks and the surrounding area. One of our favorite hikes was to the slot canyons of Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyons. We also stopped by Mancos National Park in Colorado on our way back to Denver (there's a nice direct flight now between Knoxville and Denver). We spent our last night in Durango, CO where a bike race was finishing that day and there was a great little street festival where we got to try the beer from some local breweries (including Ska Brewing Company). It was an awesome trip. I'd been to Utah once before in college and hiked the Escalante area and it was Brian's first time to the area.

In July, Brian went to Paris for 3 1/2 weeks for work and I joined him for a week. I did a lot of sightseeing during the day and worked on my photography. Then I'd head back to the hotel to watch the end of the Tour and meet up with Brian (and his co-workers sometimes) for dinner. By the way, I'd never been to Europe in the middle of summer before and I hope not to again. The lines to get into anything are insane. The line to get into Musee d'Orsay was so long that I didn't even bother waiting even though it's my favorite art museum. And Brian was lucky enough to get to go to Bangkok for a few days in the middle of his stay in Paris.

Next was Vienna in November. Again, Brian was there for work - this time for three weeks - and I joined him for a week. This was the third time he was there for work. We missed Christmas Market by a few days, but I got to see them setting up all the booths around town. I again worked on my photography, tried to see things I hadn't been to before, and took a day trip to Melk. Brian and I flew to Munich for a weekend where we about froze but still had a lot of fun.

And the best trip of all was to Peru. We hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. It was the hardest thing we've ever done but was super rewarding. We even lucked out and had a guide to ourselves on the trail (as well as a cook and handful of porters). We got to watch the sun rise on Machu Picchu on New Year's Day. We also spent a few days in Cusco at the beginning of the trip acclimating and a day in Lima at the end.

So, I think we are now ready to start taking Carter on some adventures with us. We will definitely be doing shorter hikes and staying in more hotels than tents but as long as we get to start traveling again, it'll be fun.
Right now we are considering a trip to southwest Utah and maybe the Grand Canyon. We'll see though.
No comments:
Post a Comment