Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Changes

When Carter was really little, I used to make the comment all the time that just as I figured something out with him and got comfortable with doing something one way, he'd change and I'd have to figure out something new.

It seems though that I've been almost too comfortable with him the last few months. I've gotten almost scared to change things or try new things. He's still been changing a lot (crawling, getting into everything, etc) but adapting to those changes have been easy. Carter's actually A LOT easier now that he's mobile. He hates being stuck in one place and gets bored so easily that being able to explore has made him so happy (and thus makes me a lot happier!).

Changing Carter's naps to his crib was one of those things that really scared me but it has been going well. If we're home all day, he's usually taking three naps in his crib that are at least 30 minutes. Some days one of the naps is for an hour.

The next change that scares me right now is transitioning to more solid food. It's been easy to give Carter a single pureed fruit or vegetable a couple of times a day. But figuring out adding in more foods like meats and pasta is intimidating me right now. I'm not sure how much to feed him and how to mix foods together. I'm sure I'll figure it out - I have with everything else. I just want to make sure I'm giving Carter enough food and a good variety of food.

For the past couple of months, Carter's feeding schedule has basically followed this schedule:

6:30 am (or whenever Carter wakes up) - Breastfeed
7:30 am-ish - Oatmeal or Rice Cereal
10:00 am - Breastfeed
1:00 pm - Pureed Fruit & Breastfeed
4:30 pm - Pureed Vegetable & Breastfeed
7:30 pm - Breastfeed
Sometime between 1 am and 4am - Breastfeed

I can't wait until Carter starts sleeping through the night. I could probably force him into skipping his night time feeding but he still seems to want it. Plus he's still a tiny kid so I want to make sure he's getting enough nutrition to keep growing.

No comments: