Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Summer Reading

Almost every library (and some stores) have summer reading programs.  When kids finish reading (or being read to) a certain number of books, they usually get a free book or some other prize.

We've started a couple of programs already.  One is with Pottery Barn Kids.  I think the kids have to read 47 books (they have to color in a book on the sheet provided for each one read).  For the Nashville Public Library, they have to complete 5 activities (including reading 2 hours, attending a library program, making a craft or recipe from a book, etc).  To track the "Read 2 Hours", I made reading charts for the kids.  I figured 30 books would equal about 2 hours of reading.  Now the boys get to put a sticker on the chart for each book we read.

Carter is obsessed with his and would have finished his chart if I didn't make him take a nap instead.


Rylan is a little behind.  He's been listening to about a page and then wondering off to play.  He's managed to listen to a few books though.  He's usually better if I read to him alone without Carter around.


We'll also be doing the Williamson County Library and Brentwood Library programs once we pick up the packets at the libraries.  I feel like we do a pretty good job with reading to the kids, but anything that encourages more reading is helpful!

No comments: