We had a crazy Saturday yesterday. The boys did a 1-mile race, we did some letterboxing, Rylan had a soccer game, we cut the grass, and then carved pumpkins. I'm still recovering today even though we had another pretty busy day.
The race that the boys did was part of the YMCA running series and was in Smyrna at Sharp Springs Park. This one was called the Lambert Dillard Memorial. Unfortunately this race wasn't run as well as the other Y races we've done. We didn't do early packet pickup since it was in Smyrna (which is 30 minutes from our house) and they ran out of shirts for the kids. I was told they would order more but that probably means I'll have to drive out there to get the shirts (if they actually do order them). We'll see. They also ran out of participation medals. However, instead of having medals for this race, they were left over ones from the Y race in Maryland Farms that Carter did on July 4th. They used left over medals from the last 2 years and eventually found a couple for the boys. We got ones from two years ago so at least they look different than the one Carter already has. I wrote the name of this race on them since it says the wrong race on the medal. The race people thought this wasn't a big deal at all and kept saying, "They won't care". They obviously don't know Carter!
Anyway, the boys still did awesome and had fun. We had about 20 minutes to kill before the race so the boys got their picture taken at the Walgreens photo booth ...
and played on the winner blocks.
Pre-race photo ...
The YMCA Kid Runs tend to be about 1K. However, this one was a full one mile. I didn't know this beforehand. One mile isn't a problem for Carter, but getting Rylan to run just 1K isn't easy. Since the race was a little longer than normal, I made Brian run with Carter and I "ran" with Rylan (originally we had planned to let Carter go alone, Brian would run with Rylan, and I would watch).
Carter lined up right up front and sprinted out at the start of the race.
Rylan ran hard the first 100 yards or so and then took to mostly walking.
I convinced him to run here and there but he definitely wasn't trying to hard. I kept trying to set him little goals like catching up to a kid or just running to a certain landmark. It worked occasionally :)
Carter finished around 10:40.
Rylan was finally picking it up once we could see the finish banner. But he slowed down to catch his breathe and somehow tripped over his own feet. It wasn't a bad fall but he lost it then and started sobbing. Brian left Carter at the finish line to cheer us in and helped me convince Rylan to run the last little bit. He finished around 15:40.
Though neither boy tried their hardest to run fast yesterday, I'm still really proud of them for getting out there and having a good attitude! You never know with Rylan :) It's also a victory for him that he didn't even ask me to carry him until he fell!
And here are the boys' medals that they added to their crazy collection of medals and trophies.







No comments:
Post a Comment