Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Rylan's Soccer Team

This year I am coaching Rylan's U-4 soccer team and Brian is coaching Carter's U-5 team.  Yesterday I had Rylan's team's first practice.

Rylan has been so excited to play.  He used to practice some with Carter's team (which I coached) last year but he is so proud to now have his own team.


There are 12 boys on the team.  Two of them are from Rylan's PDO class last year - Radnor and Mason (their parents requested to be on our team).  Then there are a group of 4 that are already friends (there must have been some requests for that too during sign-up!).

Practice went well last night.  It was crazy (twelve 3-year-olds, go figure!), but good.  There were a lot of parents, grandparents, and siblings there and they all seemed to be on the field with their kids sometimes so it was a bit crowded.  But I'm glad the parents cared.  Unfortunately I've had no volunteers for assistant coaching.  It really helps to be able to split the kids up more during practice so I'll see how much begging I can do until someone caves :)

I had 2 shy ones that didn't really participate but the other 10 got out there.  Generally the boys listened too.  They all stayed on the field and I only had a couple wander to the goals a few times and start shooting instead of doing our game/drill.  And most didn't pick up the ball too much.  Hopefully I'll be able to break using hands in the next couple of weeks.  I didn't really get a feel for how good our team will be (not that it matters much - we don't keep score) but no one stood out as a dominant player.  I think they all had fun though at practice which is my goal!

The boys seem like a good group of kids and it should be a fun season!

No comments: