Friday, September 20, 2013

Recent Pictures

On Tuesday Rylan's teachers put up a poster outside the door with pictures of all the kids in his class.  There are 7 girls and 5 boys (including Rylan) in his class this year.  Maddox is the only one from his class last year.  But he seems to be becoming friends with Cullen.  We met him and his brother at a playground last year and have been friendly since when we see them around so Rylan knew him a little already.


On Wednesday I packed some Pirate's Booty in Carter's lunch.  Since it can be a little messy I included a napkin in his lunchbox and wrote him a note on it.  I'd never done a note before (probably because he can't read!).  Instead of using his napkin though, he saved it and it was in his school bag when he got home :)


Carter has chapel on Wednesdays.  The kids always learn about a bible story and Ms. Denise has them draw a picture about what they learned. This weeks story was "Miriam Helped Her Family" which is about how Miriam put her baby brother, Moses, in a basket, and hid him in the river.  So the kids were apparently supposed to draw a picture about how they help their families.  The picture below says:

On the left ... "This is my mom."
In the middle ... "This is me cleaning up boxes."


Wednesday is one of only 2 weekday nights that we don't have late afternoon/evening activities and actually get to sit down for dinner together.  So after dinner we went for a walk to check on the new construction in our neighborhood.  The boys were most excited about the full moon rising in the middle of this picture.


Carter is obsessed with getting ready for kindergarten.  Ms. Denise is very focused on making the kids do things for themselves since they will have to next year.  And Carter has taken the challenge and run with it.  He always tells me he needs to open up his food by himself (like the top of an applesauce cup) or open a heavy door himself.  Carter also keeps telling me he needs to do homework to get ready for kindergarten (which to him is doing the workbooks I've collected the last couple of years that I've never been able to get him to sit and do until now!).  Now he'll sit for an hour and do an entire workbook.  He loves it right now.  I'm not sure how long this phase will last, but I'm excited he's so excited to learn.  On Wednesday he wanted to practice writing words.  So I wrote them on one wipe-off board and he copied them on his own.  His handwriting is staring to get clearer!


Carter asked me to take his picture with Charlotte ...


Thursday was "International Talk Like a Pirate Day".  Krispy Kreme was giving away a free doughnut if you talked like a pirate and a full dozen if you dressed like one.  So Suzy and I met at 7:30 am with the kids to get 4 dozen free doughnuts!

Rylan, Carter, Chase, & Riley ...


We watched our actual doughnuts being made.  They boxed the ones the kids are looking at up and handed them to us!


Carter liked his doughnut, but Rylan (of course) did not.  He did manage to get glaze all over his shirt though!


We ended up meeting Brian afterwards and gave him a dozen to share at work and then headed off to school.

Carter's speech teacher is going to miss two of his Thursday sessions next month so she is trying to go ahead and make up that hour of therapy but extending his next 4 sessions by 15 minutes.  So Rylan and I had 45 minutes to kill after school yesterday while we waited for Carter.  We ended up driving into Crockett Park and playing on one of the bridges.  There wasn't much water in the creek but we threw rocks in the puddles of water and found about dozens of fuzzy caterpillars crawling on the bridge railings.


After speech we headed to the Lil Sports Academy Open House.  Carter did Lil Sluggers last spring and they have now started a soccer program (Lil Sprouts).  They have opened a permanent facility in the same building Carter does his hip hop class and called it Lil Sports Academy.  They were having an open house yesterday where you could sign up early for fall classes, take demo classes, win prizes, do crafts, and more.

I had already planned on signing the boys up in the fall and since the classes fill up quickly, I wanted to go to this in hopes we'd get into the only ones that fit into our schedule.  Luckily Carter got the last spot in his class and Rylan easily got into his.  Classes start the week of October 21st

While I was registering the boys, a baseball demo class was started so the boys joined in.  Rylan did one for 2-3 year olds and Carter did one for 4-5 year olds.  The classes were 30 minutes and much like what they do in the program.  I think Rylan was so excited to do the things he'd watch Carter do last spring!

Rylan sitting in the "dugout" with a couple of other kids ...


Rylan was the only one in his class to actually do what he was supposed to instead of running around and not listening the whole time.


Showing me "alligator hands" ...


Here's a video of him fielding and throwing a ball (he had to wait for the wild kids to get out of the way) ...


I think Carter had fun too but he was at the other end of the field and I couldn't see him as well (but I knew he'd be fine and didn't need my help).


Right after the baseball demo class was a soccer demo that was also a 30 minute class.  Rylan was excited to do it but Carter took some persuading.  He ended up loving it though and said it's more fun than practice with his outdoor team (sorry, Brian!).

Again, I really only got pictures of Rylan.  And Suzy had shown up by this time with her kids and I was a bit more distracted :)



I did try to watch some of the games they were doing though to get ideas for our practices!!!

After the demo classes, the boys did some crafts, got tattoos, and each spun a wheel to get a prize.  Rylan won a t-shirt (which he had to wear today) and Carter got an inflatable soccer ball.


The new facility is pretty nice and I'm still a big fan of the program.  We'll still be doing our classes though at the Crockett Park Indoor Arena because it's more convenient for us, but excited the program is expanding and doing so well.

And because yesterday wasn't busy enough (Krispy Kreme, school, speech, Lil Sports Academy open house), we then headed off to Carter's soccer practice.  And the kids still weren't worn out, but I sure was!

No comments: