At yesterday's gardening class at Harlinsdale Farm, the boys learned all about bees. There was a special guest speaker - Ms. Paula from Johnson's Honey Farm.
Because I couldn't find a store that still carried rain boots, I finally ordered the boys some the other day. I didn't want the boys to have to put up with me nagging them about not stepping in mud in the garden so they didn't mess up their regular shoes. So they have "cool" Angry Bird boots now. They love them!
Ms. Paula's table of things to share with us ...
She even brought along some bees!!!
One lucky volunteer got to try on her bee suit.
We learned that only girl bees have stingers. We first passed around this boy bee in the jar and at the end of class, the kids could hold him if they wanted. I didn't think my boys would be interested at all but Carter eventually went up to the front. Someone put the bee in his bare hand and he immediately started shaking it off. Then we couldn't find the bee. Eventually someone noticed it crawling on Carter's shirt - thank goodness. I was worried Carter stepped on it!
Near the end of class the kids planted some flowers to help attract bees to the garden. Carter did pretty good on his own and I only had to help him a little get the soil filled in around the roots and compact it. Rylan required a lot more help :)
Along with their juice boxes (always my bribe to get Rylan to behave during the hour long class), the kids each got to sample honey. Rylan immediately hated it after barely putting his mouth on the straw. I'm not sure he actually tried it.
Carter gave it about 3 tries before deciding he didn't like it. I'm glad he gave it a real try! (He's had spoonfuls of honey before to attempt to soothe a cough so I know he doesn't hate honey.)








No comments:
Post a Comment