I took the boys to their pediatric dentist Thursday morning before school for their routine cleanings.
Last time we were there (6 months ago), Rylan was his normal stubborn self and would not open his mouth. The dentist was able to (gently) pry his lips open a little to take a tiny peek at his teeth, but that was pretty much it. There was no cleaning with the polisher or picking at anything. I think a little fluoride was "painted" on his front teeth, but that's really it.
Rylan did this when I tried to take his picture, but he did a million times better this time.
There was some tongue fighting with the polisher and he wouldn't let the hygienist rinse his mouth so he didn't like the toothpaste that stayed in his mouth, but everything got done. All of Rylan's teeth were cleaned, all were checked by the dentist, and the dentist was able to scrape off the staining both boys get at their gum lines.
The boys see a hygienist at the same time but they are in the same room. I sat on Rylan's exam table with him but could talk to Carter. Carter was a little nervous at first so I went over to him a couple of times to reassure him. He did awesome though. Let everyone do what they needed with no whining (though you could tell in his face he did not like the dentist scraping his staining).
Carter was VERY proud of his clean teeth!
After the exam, the boys get to pick out a toy from the treasure chest. Carter remembered about this and he was so excited about going to the dentist so he could get a toy (these are really cheap toys too - like a plastic car or mini-slinky, nothing special). All week when he got up in the morning he'd ask if that day was the day they got to go to the dentist. I'm glad he was looking forward to going!


No comments:
Post a Comment